Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- 1 organic whole chicken
- 2 tsp. sea salt (I tsp. for outside of chicken and 1 tsp. for the cavity of chicken)
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper for the outside of the chicken
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper for the inside cavity of chicken
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free butter, melted (I use Land O’ Lakes)
- 1/4 of red onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 lemon rind from squeezed lemon, cut into quarters
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4- cup gluten-free chicken broth (I use Pacific Low-Sodium)
- Wash the inside cavity and outside of chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large baking dish.
- Season chicken with sea salt and fresh pepper on outside of chicken and inside of cavity.
- Place half of the chopped onion and garlic over outside of chicken, then place the remainder of the onion and garlic on the inside of the cavity of the chicken
- Pour olive oil over chicken, and then pour the melted butter.
- Pour the lemon juice over and inside the chicken.
- Sprinkle the inside and outside of the chicken with the parsley, cilantro and basil.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the baking dish.
- If the chicken had giblets add them to the chicken broth in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the chicken into the 325 degrees oven.
- Baste chicken after 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Bake the chicken for about 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- Juices of the chicken should run clear when pricked with a fork or knife.